tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 02 00:22:26 1994

Re: Response to Proechel criticisms

>> 6. I translated euagge'lion (Good News, Gospel) as De' QaQ; he as lut QaQ.
>> He attacks my use of De' (data, information) to mean News, saying it isn't
>> canonical. I've lent out my Power Klingon, so can't confirm my impression
>> that De' is used there. In any case, "information" is consistent with
>> "message" and "news". Glen reads "data, information" to mean "statistics";
>> I think the reading rather narrow (surprisingly so, coming from someone
>> who translated "call [on telephone]" as pong).
>
>     You were probably thinking of {De' lI' Sovlu'DI' chaq
>Do'Ha'} = "Knowledge of useful information may be unfortunate."
>That's not quite as strong an endorsement for your
>interpretation as the {pagh} example, but it does lean in that
>direction. I think {lut} is better, if you are willing to
>concede that the Gospel is fiction...

I don't want to start a religious flame war, but when presenting the Gospel
in a Christian book the concession should NOT be made that it is fiction.
The ideas that the apostles were presenting were not presented as fiction.
They were a true fact to the apostles.  As such you might consider using
{teHghach QaQ}.  Although I like {De' QaQ} better, it seems to be more to
the point.

Back to archive top level