tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 01 23:45:51 1994

Boise and the Annotated Dictionary

	Speaking as one of the planned instructors for the
Boise Conference, I just have to describe the Annotated
Dictionary I intended to distribute exclusively to those who
would be my students there. Imagine having a single resource
where you could look up any word or prefix or suffix and see
every existing usage of that in canon. Imagine one word list
that included every word in canon with notations about its
source and ALL of its listed synonyms (instead of the
frequently incomplete listing in TKD) and comments on any
errors about it in TKD (like variations in spelling between the
English-Klingon side and Klingon-English side, or ommitted
entries in one of the two sides [there are more than were
listed in HolQeD].)

	Well, MAYBE Pocket Books will decide to publish it.
(Yeah, right). And maybe you'll see it on bookshelves in
another year or two. That will probably be your best chance to
gather that much useful, hard earned information, assuming that
we do not have a seminar in Boise this July.

	Of course, if there IS a seminar, then students would
probably discover that this single unifying resource would
probably justify the expense of the seminar, giving newcomers a
more accessible entry into the language. No more would you have
to juggle two separate TKD word lists AND try to scramble to
collect the words that have been added since that publication.

	And more than just a dictionary, it contains a
TUTORIAL, written with a level of wit to compliment the audio
tapes and make more palatable the task of learning this unusual
grammar.

	Of course, this may all be hype and the book may be
worthless. If there is no seminar, YOU will probably never
know. Then, I guess it doesn't really matter very much. After
all, it is ONLY a fictional langauge of little value in the
real world, right?

	Oh, and I guess getting to meet a healthy
representation of the best Klingon speakers on the planet might
be a factor as well. Having them dedicated to the task of
teaching you as much as they can and answer every question you
can come up with, and listening to them debate details on the
capability of the language to express ideas from the most
intensively Klingon perspective... Well, perhaps that is not
enough.

	And perhaps we shall just have to party without you...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level