tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 17 07:10:57 1994

Questions, comments

I've just gone thru some of the Klingon lines in ST5, and I've come across
two examples worth looking at:

1:{reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH}
"I've always wanted to engage a Federation ship."

This would seem to go against what Krankor's article discussed in HolQeD 1:2
about adverbial placement in double-verb sentences. This would actually mean
"I want to always fight a Federation ship." It could be a colloquialism or
merely a mark of casual speech to put that sort of adverb all the way at the
front of the first sentence. We have the canonical example here before (and
this does not seem to be dismissable as a spoken gaff).

2:{qIbDaq SuvwI' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS}
"You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy."

I would welcome debate on this sentence. It's very messed up. I almost
thought she didn't say the {law'} part.

These examples are really nothing to take seriously. Just something to muse
over. It would be a God-send if Schoen could get his hands on the original
scripts from Paramount, so we could see what they were really trying to say.

Guido#1,  Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level