tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 09 06:36:30 1994

Re: Qaghqoq

On Wed  9 Mar 94 06:12, Erich Schneider writes:

> I personally think "family" is an "everything else" noun, along with
> "army" and "ship's crew". A family isn't a "being", it's a group of
> beings. A talking computer isn't a "being", it's an object. A
> deaf-mute Klingon, however, would still be referred with the "speaking
> being" constructs, because Klingons in general are speaking beings.

I think the problem is that we don't know that Klingons would
classify this as an everything else noun.  "ship's crew" is a another
good example.  If you were refering to a crew, would you use 'oH or
chaH?  Does a captain say beqwI' or beqwIj?  I'm looking at the
definition for "beq", and it says "crew, crewman",  meaning, I guess,
that the word for the group is the same as for the individual.  Now
what?  Do we use beqwIj when talking about the group and beqwI' for
the individual?  I don't think so.

Amy

[email protected]

Back to archive top level