tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 08 02:24:36 1994

Re: Qaghqoq

On Mon  7 Mar 94 08:42, Will Martin writes:

> Interesting point. More accurately, I think it is a point
> unaddressed in TKD. If a family is not capable of using language,
> though its members are capable of using language because the group
is a
> different kind of noun than an individual, then any other group of
> jatlhwI'pu' would similarly not receive the jalthwI' possessive
> suffixes. Hmm. Then it would seem that "my brothers" should be
> "loDnI'pu'wIj", which sounds pretty derrogatory to me. It is also
weird
> because one suffix says they can speak while the other says they
can't.

> Then again, "loDnI'mey" is not derrogatory. It just means that
> the brothers are scattered all over the place. Meanwhile "loDnI'wIj"
IS
> derrogatory. I'd hedge my bets and say {qorDu'wI'}. Families are
> easily disturbed by misunderstandings, and I prefer to err toward
> excessive respect.
> charghwI'

I also had to ponder this when translating "my family" and I chose to
use {qorDu'wI'}.  Although you're right about there not being
anything about this in TKD, I feel that in this case, what's true of
the part is also true of the whole.  Showing respect for the "family"
would be the Klingon thing to do.

Amy

Back to archive top level