tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 06 23:49:02 1994

Re: A little help, please..

On 7 Mar 1994, Matt Gomes wrote:

>         Reply to:   RE>>A little help, please...
>
> jatlh charghwI':
>
> >      The only comment I'll add about the answering machine message is that in
> > English, we say telephone numbers like: "nine two four, four one eight four."
> > We don't say "nine hundred twenty four, four thousand one hundred eighty
> > four". I doubt that Klingons would do differently. It would also address your
> > wish of making the message shorter, since you can drop all those {SaD}s and
> > {moH}s, etc.
>
> Well... in AMERICAN, we usually do that, but I think in the UK, they DO
> give the number as one-thousand sixty four.  Maybe not in telephone
> numbers, but for street addresses.  Anyone else?
>
> > charghwI'
>
> -majIq

Nope, I've never heard anyone give out numbers in terms of "three
thousand, four hundred and fifty six".  Occasionally, people will use
hundreds, if it is an exact number.  For instance, 0800 becomes "oh-eight
hundred", but this only happens when it's easier than saying "zero zero"

Regards,

	John

             ********    | "He's very English.  If he goes over the edge, the
*********   **********   | worst outward sign will probably be that his
    *        ********    | grammar will deteriorate."
      ********           | 	_Timetrap_ (David Dvorkin)

e-mail : [email protected]

The Top 10 Signs You've Watched Too Much Star Trek:
  9) You pull the legs off your hamster so you'll have a tribble.

Back to archive top level