tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 02 01:19:41 1994

KLBC "Parrot"

>From: mark <[email protected]>
>Date: Wed, 02 Mar 94 11:57:35 EST

>qorvo':
>*    *    *

>----- When I parsed out that last sentence I got;

>jatlhlaHlaw'bogh : which is seemingly able to speak
>Ha'DIbaH	 : animal
>'oH		 : it (pronoun)
>Sajvam'e'	 : this Pet (Topic)

>I beleive this translates to "This pet is an animal which is seemingly
>able to speak."  If I got that right,  why is the pronoun 'oH needed here?

>Why not;  jatlhlaHlaw' Ha'DIbah Sajvam'e'

>*    *    *
>Because of the way Klingon constructs copulative sentences.
>(Wipe that snicker off your face, and look it up in your Funk &
>Wagnall's!)  See TKD 6.3, pp. 67-68.

Well, to spell it out a little more, Klingon needs to have a verb in the
sentence.  "To be" is not a verb in Klingon, technically, but it is
expressed (when vitally necessary, nowhere near so often as it is in
English) by using the pronouns as verbs and the topic-marker "-'e'", as
described in the dictionary sections marqem mentioned.  Just as in English
we need the "is" in "This pet *is* an animal", the Klingon uses a pronoun
("this pet, it is an animal"?) and the topic-marker at the end.

>OTOH, on the assumption that a Saj has to be a Ha'DIbaH, you
>could just say
>jatlhlaHlaw' Sajvam
>and be done with it.

There's always that...