tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 30 06:23:58 1994

Re: Klinpack, charghwI' correcting himself

> On Thu 21 Jul 94 06:54, Mark E. Shoulson writes:
>
> >>Perhaps {yuch SopbeHchoHlu'} is better?
>
> >Not really.  "-beH" means the subject of the verb is some device
> >that is properly configured to perform the verb.  In this case,
> >the subject of the verb is indefinite (that's what "-lu'" means;
> >it's *NOT* passive).  So some indefinite something is
> >configured...?  I'd expect that something which can do eating is
> >more likely to be "-rup" than "-beH" (yes, I'd use "-rup" with an
> >animal.  Well, maybe not when my parents were watching).  Maybe
> >"yuch Soprup vay'" or "yuch Sopruplu'", if you must say something
> >like that.
>
> I would say:
>
> Soplu'meH yuchbeH

Except that this is grammitically incorrect.  -lu' means there is an
indefinite subject... and you are trying to have a subject of <yuch>.

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level