tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 22 08:24:59 1994

Klinpack, charghwI' correcting himself

On Thu 21 Jul 94 06:54, Mark E. Shoulson writes:

>>Perhaps {yuch SopbeHchoHlu'} is better?

>Not really.  "-beH" means the subject of the verb is some device
>that is properly configured to perform the verb.  In this case,
>the subject of the verb is indefinite (that's what "-lu'" means;
>it's *NOT* passive).  So some indefinite something is
>configured...?  I'd expect that something which can do eating is
>more likely to be "-rup" than "-beH" (yes, I'd use "-rup" with an
>animal.  Well, maybe not when my parents were watching).  Maybe
>"yuch Soprup vay'" or "yuch Sopruplu'", if you must say something
>like that.

I would say:

Soplu'meH yuchbeH

If -beH can be used for any inanimate object... chocolate
isn't exactly a mechanical device.

There were a few topics missing from the Klinpack that should
be included:

The type 4 noun suffixes, -vam and -vetlh.

Pronouns, and how to say something like "tlhIngan jIH"
or "pa'Daq jIHtaH".

Sentences as object (how to use 'e' and net).

Noun-noun constructions.

law'/puS constructions.

Adjectival use of verbs.

And finally,

    yuch Sopbogh puq vIlegh  I see the child who eats the chocolate.
    mulegh yuch Sopbogh puq  The child who eats the chocolate sees me.

These look like good examples where using 'e' to identify the
head noun in a relative clause might be explained.

Amy

Back to archive top level