tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 30 02:27:50 1994

tlhIngan lalDan

tlhob HoD trI'Qal:

>> chuQun, wondering if Klingons dish out blessings...?

>As far as I know, they don't.  From what I understand, Klingons do not
>have any sort of 'religion' (at least, not as we know it)... they don't
>have a god or a devil, or anything like that.  Or, if they do, it doesn't
>play so important part of their life as it seems to for terrans... or we
>just don't see it very often.

>This question has plagued me for years, in pursuit of my other Klingon
>interests.  Does anyone else out there know more than I do on this?

>From what I've seen on TNG, it seems that any Klingon spiritual
feelings center not around any "gods", but around heroes of varying
mythological status, particularly Kahless. They aren't abstract beings
or rulers of particular spheres of life, but beings that were
considered to be real Klingons at some point who performed deeds in
the physical world.

I would think a Klingon, rather than asking one of their god-heroes
for help in a situation, tries to act like a god-hero - instead of
thinking "Kahless, help me", they think "what would Kahless do now?"
Evocation rather than invocation.  One sees this in the
teaching-stories told to children, the respect for tradition, and the
citation of the god-heroes as the sources of that tradition.

-QumpIn 'avrIn / Erich Schneider
 [email protected]

Back to archive top level