tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 25 22:15:50 1994

re shrubbery

>From: [email protected] (Mark E. Shoulson)
>Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 13:27:40 -0400

>>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>>Date: Sun, 24 Jul 94 18:21:24 EDT

>>One of the most common misunderstandings in Klingon is the one
>>that the suffixes {-'a'} and {-Hom} are related to size. If this
>>were true, we would have no need of the adjectival verbs {mach}
>>and {tIn}. The diminutive and augmentative suffixes CAN refer to
>>size, but they more properly refer to SIGNIFICANCE. I would
>>suggest that a shrub is a lot like a tree, except that it is
>>rather less than a tree, and so I use {SorHom}. If I were merely
>>referring to a small tree, I'd use {Sor mach}.

More on "-Hom" and "'a'".

Let's look at the canonical usages of these suffixes for support of Will's
position and a better understanding.

We have "mangHom"/cadet and "rojHom"/truce and "SuSHom"/wisp of air (on
p.21, not in lexicon).  Obviously these don't relate to size; a cadet could
easily be seven inches taller and a hundred pounds heavier than his CO, a
"mang", and still be a "mangHom".  It's quality: a soldier of lesser
importance.  "rojHom" and "SuSHom" can't even be measured in size; again,
they're indications of importance of quality (how much of a peace or wind
they are).  A rojHom is just a minor peace, not a real, lasting one (not
that it isn't a peace; that'd be rojHey).  It just barely qualifies as
peace.  Similarly with SuSHom.

For "-'a'", consider "Duy'a'"/ambassador, "la''a'"/commandant,
"pIn'a'"/master, "toy'wI''a'"/slave, and "van'a'"/award.  None of these
make any reference to physical size; just importance and quality.  Note
"toy'wI''a'" for "slave".  This isn't a servant a greater importance, this
is a servant (toy'wI') of highest order; one who is very much a servant.

Is this helping people get an idea of how to use "-'a'" and "-Hom" any
better?  Maybe I should write a HolQeD article on this.

~mark

Back to archive top level