tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 25 22:04:23 1994

Klingon Compass

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 25 Jul 94 12:49:36 -0400

>Have the tlhIngan names for North, South, East and West have ever been
>documented?  They don't appear in the dictionary, but maybe they have elsewhere

I've not seen them.  I needed "East" in my translation of Jonah (since he
went east of the city).  Since the actual direction wasn't that vital and I
was unabashedly translating, I basically played on the words a little.  The
word used in the Hebrew in that place for "east" is grammatically related
to the word for "forward".  In one way of expressing directions in Biblical
Hebrew, they're given with respect to a person facing east: east is
forward, north is left, south is right, and west is back.  So I just used
"'et" in the Klingon.  Again, the precision isn't really vital, and I can
say I was translating the Hebrew in a different way.

~mark

Back to archive top level