tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 18 08:50:09 1994

Re: Apposition

On Mon, 18 Jul 1994, Heidi Wessman wrote:

> > 	In translating Genesis I have encountered a minor question of
> > grammer.  The verse in question reads something like "Abram spoke to
> > Sarai, his wife."  I have translated it as
> >
> >      SaraivaD be'nalvaD jatlhta' abram
> >
> > nuq boSov?  chay' 'e' vImugh?
>
> chuQun reads this phrase.  the Bible Translation Project fascinates her.
>
> "Couldn't you just say
>             Sarai be'nalvaD jatlhta' abram
>                     -or-
>             saraibe'nalvaD jatlhta' abram
>
> (Abram spoke to his wife Sarai.)
>
> Also, wouldn't there be a -Daj in there?  be'nalDajvaD?  To HIS wife?"
>
> chuQun wondered if she got that correct.  She does not have a dictionary
> at her disposal, but she's getting better.

The first example has much to recommend it, as it encloses the
apposition within the -vaD.  It does strike me, however, as a backwards
reading somewhat.  I would prefer that the first noun be marked if we are
going to only mark one noun.  The second example I do not like at all, as
it seems to make a meaningless compound noun.  You are right, of course,
when you say that -Daj should be inserted.  Since it was not the main
point of the post, I completely forgot about it.

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'!

| Kevin A. Wilson                               [email protected] |
|                  God protects fools, little children,                     |
|                      and ships named Enterprise.                          |
|                                             -- William T. Riker           |