tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 18 07:54:47 1994

Re: Apposition

On Mon, 18 Jul 1994, ghItlhpu' Kevin Wilson (DV 1994):
> Dear SuvwI'pu',
>
> 	In translating Genesis I have encountered a minor question of
> grammer.  The verse in question reads something like "Abram spoke to
> Sarai, his wife."  I have translated it as
>
>      SaraivaD be'nalvaD jatlhta' abram
>
>   [use of Sarai, my wife]
>
> nuq boSov?  chay' 'e' vImugh?

chuQun reads this phrase.  the Bible Translation Project fascinates her.

"Couldn't you just say
            Sarai be'nalvaD jatlhta' abram
                    -or-
            saraibe'nalvaD jatlhta' abram

(Abram spoke to his wife Sarai.)

Also, wouldn't there be a -Daj in there?  be'nalDajvaD?  To HIS wife?"

chuQun wondered if she got that correct.  She does not have a dictionary
at her disposal, but she's getting better.

chuQun

Back to archive top level