tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 15 09:37:28 1994

Re: qep'a' -- One Klingon's Story

Okay, okay. So here is charghwI's report on qep'a':

~mark sold me a button that says, "tlhIngan qep'a'Daq jIghosta'
'ej Deghvam QIv neH vISuq." Well, that's not quite accurate. I
also came back with many fine memories, a new sense of
friendship and a lighter wallet (thanks to Krankor, the card
shark).

As a writer, my immediate drive is to describe the people
there, but I do not wish to disrespect the whole of these
fascinating people by limiting them to my descriptions. Let it
be said that I was stricken by the wit and spark that they each
carried. The shy were drawn out by the showmen and everyone
played together well.

At the initial banquet, many fine jokes were yelled from one
table to another. I'm sorry to report that we did not have a
food fight. Maybe next year.

Hmmm. I'm lousey at chronology. I don't do time very well.

Among the activities were the two great Klingon poker (poQ'ar)
games. Lawrence had special chips made up with Klingon pIQaD
written on them. The chips were qIj, SuD and Doq, representing
quarters, nickles and dimes. The first night, Krankor and
trI'Qal were the big winners and I came out 70 cents ahead. The
second night, I was absent from the beginning of the game and I
came into it just in time to expiditiously lose the greater
part of a ten spot. Krankor was victorious.

Krankor played Broadway tunes on the piano as ~mark sang every
tongue twister ever to hit the musical stage. We made up new
lyrics to many songs, sometimes in tlhIngan Hol and sometimes
simply with a Klingon theme. "If I were a rich man..." became,
"If I were the captain..." Krankor played his guitar for his
rendition of "Stairway to Gilligan's Island".

At one point, Krankor and I snuck off to play guitars together.
I was honored to enjoy his talents so generously shared.

One night, we took pieces of paper and wrote tlhIngan stories,
one line at a time. Each person wrote a line, then passed the
pad to the next person at the table, who read the line (in
Klingon) and added a new line, then passed it on until it went
completely around the table. We then read the resulting stories
out loud, making sure that everyone understood each line before
going onward. The stories were... well... interesting.

I especially enjoyed the one I started about the targ... Then
there was Krankor's one that ~mark summed up best with the word
"Ooops". It had something to do with military exercises
including both humans and tlhIngans and an accidental episode
that proved somewhat fatal to one of the humans...

I think we may have converted one of the waitresses at
Bennington's to our cause.

Hmmm. Glancing at my tlhoq, I see that I shold wrap this up and
continue at some later point.

Leave to say that a wonderful time was had by all and those of
you who missed it should suffer only enough for your loss to
inspire you to make damned sure you make it NEXT year.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level