tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 07 20:31:25 1994

Re: Internet!!!!!!

> In message <[email protected]>you write:
> >But what is a MOO and how does it differ from all of these?
> MOO: Mud, Object-Oriented. The chief difference is that the programming
> language that's built into the MOO is similar to C++. It does not use those
> insane percent symbols that MUSH or MUSE use. The best benefit to this is
> that the code that people write is maintainable. There's built-in online
> editors for mail and verb code. The mud.el MUD client for Emacs has built-in
> hooks for editing MOO verbs.
>
> Its chief draw-back is that it's memory-based right now. This means your
> objects are in RAM or in paging space 100% of the time. For a medium database
> (9.1MB on disk, 15.5MB once loaded and running) this could mean bad news on
> a machine that's doing many other intensive things (ie loads of interactive
> users). On the 4/110 that we're working with, this may not affect us too badly.
> I think that the types of programs we'll be running there (FTP server, WWW
> server, gopher server) should cooperate with a MOO.
>
> I'll volunteer my services to help set up a MOO. Drop by Dragonsfire MOO
> (moo.eskimo.com 7777) and chat with me sometime. I'm Tony there, I unbreak
> everyone else's broken code. It's a Pern-themed MOO (yes, Pern. Sometimes I
> want to throw all Perns out the window. Yuck), so please don't come online
> with a Klingon name :) (people would throw fits). Or, if you prefer to see
> an example of a MOO-in-progress that is space-themed (combat, skills, built-in
> language support, floating point math to support space travel) send me
> private email and I'll arrange a visit. It's currently open to builders only.
>

> Tony Reynolds|[email protected]|Telecomm Analyst II|(601)232-7206
> Given a sufficient number of "scientists," at least one of them will propose a
> fractal model for a given problem. -- Tony's Law of Fractal Propogation, 1993

Hi. I am a second wiz of a small MOO-to-be (we're still building) and it's not
yet made public. But it has one GREAT advantage: my colleague and friend,
THE wiz, has patched it to be disk-based. So, we're running on a disk-based
MOO. I think he might be willing to give you the patch. I can ask him, if
you are interested. BTW, MOOcode is MUCM MUCH more powerful (and a bit more
complex, I am afraid) than other MU* stuff (MUSE, MUSH...).

I am not doing too well with univ thingies, and I'll try switching faculties.
(I don't know how does it work in USA... Anyway, I'm going from maths to
linguistics and informatology.) If I succeed to remain connected to Internet,
I'll be glad to help coding.

I am sorry if this came late... I didn't read my mail a week and a half and
it appears that I've been kicked off the list? Don't know. I've seen Eli's
msg... I hope I get you guys back... I miss you... Hoch SalaDnISqu'!

	Qapla' qoranvo'

Back to archive top level