tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 07 16:30:15 1994

Re: *boHem*ngan bomnong

************************* From: [email protected] ****************************
*  Access our worldwide interactive FAXified(sm) Database...toll-free at  *
*  1-800-947-3650, enter "054" for instructions.  Hundreds of catagories! *
*  Access our ftp site for many unusual and interesting files:            *
*  Server: mary.iia.org  /pub/users/patriot  *  Read file descript.ion    *

On Thu, 7 Jul 1994, William H. Martin wrote:

> According to Bill Willmerdinger\:

> You haven't done ANY of that, and you DON'T have the right to
> make up new words. If we all had individual rights to do that,
> then the language would soon be out of control and impossible
> to understand, except within individual dialects among those
> who agreed on limiting themselves to a common vocabulary.
>
> Now, if someone could explain that to Proechel...
>
> charghwIg'

I would like to explain one part of the Klingon Culture - the dialects
and language are selected by the Emperor or the High Council, so until
the Emperor (Okrand) or the High Council (Paramount) speaks otherwise, I
am against the making up of new words because Klingon is a truly
universal language, but if we butcher it - it will become ineffective.
Today, a Klingon in Paris and Moscow can talk with Klingons in Sydney and
Los Angeles and we can all understand each other...I understand that the
Klingon language by its nature has dialects - but if we use any new word
- it shoud be identified as a dialect and not the true language.

Qapla'

Starr

Back to archive top level