tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 06 09:42:09 1994

*boHem*ngan bomnong

yI'Ij!  "Unknown" Bill Willmerdinger jatlhchu'pu' Uucp
 Uu> From: ur-valhalla!ctr.columbia.edu!shoulson (Mark E. Shoulson)
 Uu> Boy you don't start small!  Bohemian Rhapsody barely makes sense in
 Uu> English; translating it is bound to be a major-league pain.  Well,
 Uu> let's take a look...

In many cases, I found individual lines were fairly easy to translate.  Others
were a royal pain!  I got the idea for this after seeing a group of Klingons
doing the "Wayne's World" bit to Bohemian Rhapsody at Toronto Trek last year.

One thing that *I* noticed after I uploaded this, was that I had boHemngan
nongbom (be'jaw'a'vaD).  Should be be'jaw'a'vo' - FROM Queen, not FOR Queen.

 >ado, "boHemngan nongbom".

 Uu> Well, for the title, it's nice to indicate transliteration here and
 Uu> there (many of us like to use *'s around transliterated words), just so
 Uu> people don't waste time trying to make sense of "boHem".  "nong" is

Okay, I've done that as of the subject header of this message.

 Uu> given only as a verb, and verb-noun compounds are not extremely
 Uu> well-attested, and we're not sure you can freely do that.  Just be
 Uu> aware...

I realized that.  I got e-mail from Amy West suggesting "bom nong", but I was
trying for a complex noun.  After examining TKD, I found some complex nouns
that have verb elements, and the verb is always second, so perhaps "bomnong"
is more "appropriate".

 >teHbej'a' yInvam
 >neH teHlaw''a' 'oH
 Uu>
 Uu> "neH" follows the verb (or noun), unlike other adverbials.

"Every rule has an exception"....  So, it would be "teHlaw''a' 'oH neH"?  I'll
skip this problem in the rest of my reply.

 >vIHbogh puHDaq jontaH
 Uu>
 Uu> You have here "he/she is capturing in moving earth".  The song would
 Uu> imply that it's really "I am caught...", so this should have "jI-",
 Uu> unless you want to consider it clipped Klingon (note that the English
 Uu> is clipped). And as to "caught", that's really more like "jonlu'pu'"
 Uu> (someone has captured him/her). However, the term "caught in a
 Uu> landslide" is an English idiom in the first place.  You're not really
 Uu> "captured" in or by a landslide, it just means you're suddenly and
 Uu> unexpectedly forced to experience one.  You could have fun with a
 Uu> construction like "pay' jIQom", doing it in a nicely Klingonic, and
 Uu> non-English, way.

I've had second thoughts about that one myself, and I may rephrase it
entirely.  Possibly to wanwI'mey vISeHbe' - "I do not control events."  But
I'll try your suggestion as well.

  >mInlIj DapoSmoH

 Uu> It's a command, right? I want you to open your eyes.  So it should be
 Uu> "tIpoSmoH" (plural!  eyeS!)

Okay on the imperative.  The plural bit...  well, I tried to keep it
"singable" and the extra syllable really made it worse as it stands.  Another
would have made it impossible.  However, "the lack of a special suffix for
plural does not always indicate that the noun is singular."  TKD 3.3.2. :-)

 >chalmeyDaq Danej
 >'ej Dalegh

 Uu> Maybe "yIbej" insstead of "Danej".  "Watch the skies".  Possibly drop
 Uu> the "-Daq" as well.  And again. "yI-" (or "tI-") instead of "Da-".
 Uu> Definitely "yI-" for the last verb, since It's just "see things in
 Uu> general", not "see it".

I felt that the "-Daq" had to be there with "Danej" , but if I used "yIbej"
then I'll be short a syllable...  I suppose I could always throw in a pronoun
to keep the meter...  Again, okay on the imperatives.

 >tuvupnISbe'bej
 Uu>
 Uu> Excellent.

qatlho'

 >jIjatlhtaH: jIpaw ngeD, jItlheD ngeD
 Uu>
 Uu> You're trying to do sentence-as-subject stuff here.  Note that you
 Uu> have two verbs here, and no obvious way to join them.  "I arrive it's
 Uu> easy".  I suppose if you punctuated it differently it would be okay.
 Uu> "I arrive. It's easy.  I leave.  It's easy".  We've been doing stuff
 Uu> like this with things like "jIpawDI' ngeD" (when I arrive, it's easy).

This is one of the sections I really wanted input on, becasue I just couldn't
make it work.   I like your suggestion.

 >jISey mach, jI'It mach

 Uu> This works less well.  What's small?  What would work very nicely is
 Uu> the adverbial "loQ": "loQ jISey, loQ jI'It".

Amy said the same thing, and I'll change to that.

 >nuqDaq ghoStaH SuS
 >potlhbe'bej 'oH jIHmeH
 >jIHmeH......
 Uu>
 Uu> jIHmeH?  In order that I be (something)?  Erk.  Should probably be
 Uu> "jIHvaD" and come at the beginning of the sentence (yes, that screws up
 Uu> the structure, but that's life).

Okay....  Is it allowable to use noun suffixes on "chuvmey"?  I couldn't
recall any examples of such.  I admit that "jIHmeH" is awkward, but I at least
had a canonical use of verb suffixes in pronouns.  I prefer "jIHvaD" myself,
and in fact had that in the last verse where I have "jIHmeH" in the earlier
verses.

 Uu> Hey, good aspect use!  Works fpor me anyway.

That's one area I've tried to get down pat.  I keep refering to your HolQeD
article for examples.

 >'ach DaH jIjaHpu'
 >'ej Hoch vIwoDpu'
 Uu>
 Uu> "I've gone and thrown it all away" has nothing to do with going,
 Uu> that's an English idiom.  If you really want to parallel the English
 Uu> construction (and I don't see much reason to), the right verb for the
 Uu> job is "ruch", I think.

It has been pointed out to me before that I tend to force English idiom to fit
Hol syntax.  In this case, I consciously kept as close to the original as I
could, figuring that I would work on the problem after I had a workling "beta"
version of the song.

 >wa'leS poHvam naDev jIcheghbe'chugh
 Uu>
 Uu> I suppose "qaStaHvIS wa'leS poHvam".... I dunno, when you need the
 Uu> qaStaHvIS isn't completely clear.

Why would I need it at all?

 >pIpwIjDaq QommoHlu'

 Uu> hey, a word for "spine".  Never noticed that.  Maybe "Qom pIpwIj"
 Uu> might be more concise.

I agree.  But it wouldn't fit the song.

(continued next message - yes, my messages get split for Fidonet!)

Qob

... How do you tell a Klingon from Kanada?  He says "G'dayt, eh?"....

Back to archive top level