tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 05 03:03:20 1994

Re: DaqDaq?

>> >QIt QongDaqDaq bIHeghjaj
>> >
>> Wnen B (my cousin) and I were translating stuff, we translated
>> bed as {Qongnagh} sleep-stone.  Remember the beds that Picard and Data
>> were given in Unification?  Slabs of stone -- hence sleep-stone.
>
>Well, I caution against using a verb-noun construction such as
>{*Qongnagh}, even if {Qong} has been used in a compound by Okrand
>elsewhere.  {QongDaq} is given in CK(?) as "bed."  It might just be a
>special case, and not necessarily indicate that {Qong} can be used as
>a noun in other constructions.
>
>> Susan
>
>--Holtej

Thanks for the comment.  Our rationale was that *many* words in the
disctionary are used as both nouns and verbs with no apparrent
rhyme or reason.  (i.e. *we* couldn't figure out oif there was a pattern
to this usage or not).

Just because it isn't stated in the dictionary that a given word *isn't*
used as both noun and verb, is it the general consensus of this group
that you *can't* do that?

On another note, I've been planning on transcribing the Okrand Tapes (tm)
and wondered if anyone else had done it (just so I can save myself a WHOLE]
lot of work.  (I'll admit it.  I'm basically lazy.)

Tnahanks
Susan

Qapla'

Back to archive top level