tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 04 22:51:03 1994

No Subject

Subject: boHemngan nongbom

>From: [email protected] (Bill Willmerdinger
>    )
>Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 23:13:00 -0500

>I haven't posted much to the list, and I'm way behind on taking David's
>lessons, but I've finished the first version of my pet project: the
>translation of Bohemian Rhapsody into tlhIngan Hol.

>The lyrics came from the sheet music, and if ANYONE can tell me what
>BIS-MIL-LAH means I will be VERY happy.  For now, I have left it as it is.
>I'm trying to work out something tlhIngan to put in it's place.

Boy you don't start small!  Bohemian Rhapsody barely makes sense in
English; translating it is bound to be a major-league pain.  Well, let's
take a look...

>Some cautions.  I tried to keep the rhythm and meter of the song, and didn't
>worry overmuch about rhyme.  I don't think I was entirely unsuccessful, but I
>did take a few liberties with some words.  There are also a few extra aspect
>or qualification suffixes thrown in for aesthetic purposes.  I'd prefer to use
> canonical tlhIngan Hol, so any suggestions for changes are welcome.  My skin
>isn't that thin.  :-)  I fully expect to be torn to shreds, this time.

*grin* Lucky for you.  I tend not to worry about meter too much, mostly
because I havce my doubts as to whether or not I'm good enough to make it
work out.

>I'll post the full Hol text first, then my translation.  So, without further
>ado, "boHemngan nongbom".

Well, for the title, it's nice to indicate transliteration here and there
(many of us like to use *'s around transliterated words), just so people
don't waste time trying to make sense of "boHem".  "nong" is given only as
a verb, and verb-noun compounds are not extremely well-attested, and we're
not sure you can freely do that.  Just be aware...

>Sogh'a' Qob vestai-qutvaj

>boHemngan nongbom (be'jaw'a'vaD)

>teHbej'a' yInvam
>neH teHlaw''a' 'oH

"neH" follows the verb (or noun), unlike other adverbials.

>vIHbogh puHDaq jontaH

You have here "he/she is capturing in moving earth".  The song would imply
that it's really "I am caught...", so this should have "jI-", unless you
want to consider it clipped Klingon (note that the English is clipped).
And as to "caught", that's really more like "jonlu'pu'" (someone has
captured him/her). However, the term "caught in a landslide" is an English
idiom in the first place.  You're not really "captured" in or by a
landslide, it just means you're suddenly and unexpectedly forced to
experience one.  You could have fun with a construction like "pay' jIQom",
doing it in a nicely Klingonic, and non-English, way.

>teHbejghachvo' jInarghlaHbe'
>mInlIj DapoSmoH

It's a command, right? I want you to open your eyes.  So it should be
"tIpoSmoH" (plural!  eyeS!)

>chalmeyDaq Danej
>'ej Dalegh

Maybe "yIbej" insstead of "Danej".  "Watch the skies".  Possibly drop the
"-Daq" as well.  And again. "yI-" (or "tI-") instead of "Da-".  Definitely
"yI-" for the last verb, since It's just "see things in general", not "see
it".

>neH puqloD mIpHa' jIH

Again, "neH" after the noun.  "mIpHa'" works for me.

>tuvupnISbe'bej

Excellent.

>jIjatlhtaH: jIpaw ngeD, jItlheD ngeD

You're trying to do sentence-as-subject stuff here.  Note that you have two
verbs here, and no obvious way to join them.  "I arrive it's easy".  I
suppose if you punctuated it differently it would be okay.  "I arrive.
It's easy.  I leave.  It's easy".  We've been doing stuff like this with
things like "jIpawDI' ngeD" (when I arrive, it's easy).

>jISey mach, jI'It mach

This works less well.  What's small?  What would work very nicely is the
adverbial "loQ": "loQ jISey, loQ jI'It".

>nuqDaq ghoStaH SuS
>potlhbe'bej 'oH jIHmeH
>jIHmeH......

jIHmeH?  In order that I be (something)?  Erk.  Should probably be "jIHvaD"
and come at the beginning of the sentence (yes, that screws up the
structure, but that's life).

>SoSoy,
>loD vIHoHta'
>nachDajDaq HIch vIlanta'
>chu'wI' vIyuvta' DaH Heghpu'

Hey, good aspect use!  Works fpor me anyway.

>SoSoy,
>neH taghchoHpu' yIn

neH in the wrong place again.  Again, good use of "-pu'".

>'ach DaH jIjaHpu'
>'ej Hoch vIwoDpu'

"I've gone and thrown it all away" has nothing to do with going, that's an
English idiom.  If you really want to parallel the English construction
(and I don't see much reason to), the right verb for the job is "ruch", I
think.

>SoSoy,
>Ooh ooh ooh ooh,
>qaSaQmoH 'e' jIHechbe'

vIHechbe'.  The "'e'" pronoun is an object.

>wa'leS poHvam naDev jIcheghbe'chugh

I suppose "qaStaHvIS wa'leS poHvam".... I dunno, when you need the
qaStaHvIS isn't completely clear.

>bItaH, bItaH

yItaH, or yISIQ even better,.  Command, remember?

>jIHmeH potlhbe'bejmo' 'oH

"jIHmeH" doesn't make sense to me; "jIHvaD" perhaps.

>DaH qaS
>pawpu' poHwIj
>pIpwIjDaq QommoHlu'

hey, a word for "spine".  Never noticed that.  Maybe "Qom pIpwIj" might be
more concise.

>reH 'oy'taH porghwIj
>Qapla', juppu'wI'

Hmmm.  I suppose we can get away with "Qapla'" for goodbye, since (a) we
have nothing better and (b) you *do* say you're leaving in the next
sentence (otherwise I'd complain that Qapla' doesn't carry the idea of
parting).

>jItlheDnISchu'
>jIH 'o'Daq ratlhnIS Hoch

"-bej" might be better than "chu-" here.  "'o'wIjDaq" is better than "*jIH
'o'Daq"; we don't make possessives with pronouns.  Perhaps "jItlheDnISbej /
SatlheDnIS Hoch" or something (okay use of tlheD?)

>'ej vIt vIlaj

vIlajnIS maybe?  The "gotta" applies to this clause as well.

>SoSoy,
>Ooh ooh ooh ooh,
>jIHegh vIneHbe'
>not jIboghpu' jIH 'e' rut vIneHbej

No "'e'" with "neH"; you got that right in the first sentence, but not the
second.

>Som DopDaq loDqoq QIb mach vIlegh 'e' vIQub

"I see a little sillhouetto of a man..." Where's the "side of the hull"
coming from?  And the "I think"?  If you want to express uncertaintuy,
"vIleghlaw'" is probably cleaner.  you might consider "loDHey" or
something.

>nuch mIyqu'
>nuch mIyqu'
>chaq vanDango' DanID'a'
>jorbogh cha pu'mey je
>jItaHvIpqu'
>jIH!

Maybe jIHajqu'?  This is a poem, so I'll not say you can't use "-vIp" in
first person.  Tough to translate "Scaramouche!"

>neH puqloD mIpHa' jIH
>mumuSHa'taH pagh
>neH puqloD mIpHa' ghaH
>qorDu' mIpHa'vo'

"neH" at end again.  I suppose the "-vo'" phrase needs to go at the
beginning too, since things that aren't subjects or objects go at the
beginning.

>Sanvamvo' yInDaj botoDlaH'a' vay'?

>naDev ghoS, pa' ghoS
>jImej 'e' bochaw''a'
>BIS-MIL-LAH, ghobe'!
>bImej 'e' wIchaw'be'
>yIchaw'!
>BIS-MIL-LAH, bImej 'e' wIchaw'be'
>yIchaw'!
>BIS-MIL-LAH! bImej 'e' wIchaw'be'.
>yIchaw'!
>bImej 'e' wIchaw'be'!
>yIchaw'!
>bImej 'e wIchaw'be'!
>yIchaw'!
>ghobe' ghobe' ghobe' ghobe'
>ghobe'! ghobe'! ghobe'! ghobe'!

>SoSoywI', SoSoywI'
>jImej 'e' tuchaw''a'
>veqlarghHom ghaj veqlargh jay' 'ej muloS...
>muloS....
>muloS!!!!

>toH! chonaghlaH 'e' DaQub
>'ej mInwIjDaq bIghupHa'!

Hey, "ghupHa'"!  That's a nice one.  Maybe I'll use that instead of
"SopHa'" in my Jonah.

>chomuSHa'laH 'e' DaQub
>'ej jIHeghmeH chomej!
>toH, be'oy,