tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 30 20:04:58 1994

Re: FTP file policy proposal

On Mon, 31 Jan 94 1:02:53 EDT, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:

>In the interest of Klingon standards, and all that, I believe the description
>files in the FTP directories should be marked for the following information:
>
>1. Author/Translator
>2. Who this text has been reviewed by.
>
>Text reviewed by a couple of people and revised accordingly (like Fred's
>songs) are obviously going to have higher status than work that noone's
>really looked at to review at all (like... my stuff ;( --- Mark honourably
>excepted, of course ;) .
>
>I think this an opportune time to rekindle an old favourite of mine: the
>Grammarian issue. We have a lot of Klingon text here, not all of which
>is being reviewed by those officially qualified.

I agree with Nick that we need to have some system in place such that the
text which is placed on the FTP site, and possible subsequently published
by the KLI, is acceptable tlhIngan Hol (I know that if my translation are
not reviewed, they would be woefully inadequate).  As to the FTP site, I
think that including the translator and reviewer(s) in the description
might be a bit to much.  You are limited at 40 characters for the
description.  Maybe the first few lines of the file should include the
author and reviewer.  If we do this, I would propose to use two different
extensions for files.  ".TXT" for those files which have not been
reviewed, and ".KLN" for those which have.  Then you could retrieve the
file and have a good idea of the quality of the work.
              ____
             |INRI|
             |    |           Matt Whiteacre
             |    |           [email protected]