tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 29 23:21:43 1994

Re: syntactic anomaly

To avoid overusage of pronominal verbs and unnecessary usage of the
nominalizer, I've come up with a few suggestions for what once was {taH pagh
taHbe' 'e' 'oH tlhobghach'e'}:

{taH pagh taHbe' net tlhob}
This altho goes a bit against the view of double verb constructions when one
of the verbs is a verb of "speaking," like {tlhob} here. With {neH} we've
basically concluded that {'e'} is optional but almost never used in spoken
Klingon (unless refering back to someone else's statement). However, with
{tlhob}, it could be another story altogether, since this verb is unique in
that it, along with its comrade 'speaking' verbs, can precede its quote.
Including the SENTENCE-tlhob construction with other double verb
constructions just might not be a very safe view now.

How about {taH pagh taHbe' vItlhob}, with those interrogative markers being
implicit or something...
Just throwing out ideas. Nothing to seriously consider yet...

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level