tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 27 20:53:23 1994

batlh quvtaHghach je (part1)

Nick on David Barron:

>=        <<'u' leghlaHbe'lu'bogh vISeH 'ej bItaHvIpbe'chugh QaHwIj Dalo'bejlaH
>=        'ach DaH leS bel je qanob>>                                =
>="I control the unseen world and you can use my help.  If you are not affraid.
>= But first I'll give you rest and pleasure."
>
>Both -laH and -lu' are type 5 suffixes, so they can't coocur. I'd say
>'u''e' leghlaHbogh pagh. Afraid here means afraid to use it, or afraid to
>battle, not afraid to exist; bIHajbe'chugh would fix that anyway, though
>I suppose given enough argumentation taH could be made to make sense.

How about just "'u' leghbe'lu'bogh"?  I think we have a little too much
usage of "-laH"; it's not as necessary in many constructions as English
translations might imply ("Can you speak Klingon?" is probably neater
translated as "tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?")

~mark

Back to archive top level