tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 27 20:36:21 1994

Scout law /translation

>From: [email protected] (Amy West)
>Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 19:02:12 PST

>>One may honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country
>>and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to
>>keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

vIparHa'bej, Amy.  batlh bImughta'.  loQ qaQeS vIneH...

>nejwI' 'Ip

>quvwIjmo', joH'a'vaD 'ej puHwIjvaD Qu'wIj vIta' 'e' nIDbej
                                                     ^^^^
Should be "vInIDbej".  I like the quvwIjmo', but it should be "joH'a'vaD
puHwIjvaD je".

>nejwI' chut vIlob; qaStaHvIS Hoch poH, latlh nuvpu' vIQaH;

I like "nejwI'" for scout.  Clever.  qaStaHvIS Hoch poH (I'd have said poH
Hoch) is okay, but awfully longwinded.  You need a word that you're
probably kicking yourself for missing: reH (always).  Maybe "latlhpu'"
would work well for "others"?  After all, "latlh" isn't a verb or an
adjective like it is in English.

>porgh HoS, yab ghuS, DataH lugh je vIleH.

Not sure "ghuS" is just the right word; it means "ready to launch", like a
missile.  A nice image, but maybe not the idea one.  Hmm... something with
"ta'rup", ready to act?  Nah...  ghuH is a noun (now there's a weird one,
since we have "ghuHmoH" as a verb!)...  I'll think about it.  I assume you
meant "DataHghach" or something?  It ought to be a noun.  You could say
"batlh jIDataH", but that would break up the parallelism.  Or you could
recast the whole phrase that way.  "leH" is okay for what you're using it
for, I think.

maj

>Amy

~mark