tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 27 01:05:49 1994

Re: Use of question words

ghItlh Qanqor:
> HIq jab'a' Qe'vetlh 'e' vISovchu'be'
>
> I submit that, after smoothing, it comes out as:
>
> "I'm not sure if that restaurant serves liquor."
>
> Mow I am *HARDLY* claiming that somehow the -'a' suffix suddenly
> means "if".  This is just smoothing.

We know, Krankor. But what you ARE implying is that the interrogative suffix
used in this manner is equivalent to our "whether," which is quite ingenious
of you, I might add.

"I don't know *if/whether* that restaurant serves liquor."

Esperanto does something like this, doesn't it. I'd have to look it up, but
I'm pretty sure it has some way of using the {cxu} interrogative marker for
saying "whether."

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level