tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 06:47:41 1994

Re: Ha', Ha', Ha'

marqem wrote:
> : With qIm 'pay attention', it can refer to distraction:
> :
> :     SuvchuqtaH qama' 'e' qImHa'pu' 'avwI'.
> :     The guard was distracted by prisoners fighting (among
> :         themselves).

marnen added:
> Not quite. This would mean "the guard was distracted from the prisoners'
> fighting". I think you want >'avwi' qimHa'moHpu' qama' SuvchuqtaHghach<.

charghwI' adds:
     How about:
Suvchuqbogh qama'pu' buSmo' 'avwI' potlhmey qImHa 'avwI'

"Because the guard focussed on the prisoners who fought each other, the guard
failed to concentrate on important things." It IS a little long winded, but I
think it is clear enough to be forgiven that sin.

     I very much like marqem's investigation of {-Ha'} here. It is a point of
inconsistency for Okrand, unfortunately, but these explorations on the rule
(ignoring the examples that do not follow that rule) do add richness to the
language. I also tend to agree with Marnen that this one example is not on
the mark, though I am unsure that marqem's original sentence clearly meant
what Marnen suggests. It's just kind of muddy and easily misunderstood.
Marnen's suggestion is an improvement. I hope that mine is as well.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level