tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 22 09:55:41 1994

KLBC: Fast ships

I brought up the problem of not having "fast or slow" as adjectives in the
Klingon language, and people noted that nothing is inherently fast or slow.
This is an extremely insightful revelation...

But.

I still want to be able to convey the idea that the ship is fast.  Here's
what I came up with...

nom jaHlaH Duj'e'

This ship is able to move quickly.

But it's kinda weird because nom is first;  It can be translated as
"Quickly this ship can move", and while this sounds an awful lot like
Yoda-speak for the same thing, my gut says it sounds like it's talking
about acceleration.  In retrospect, I guess it doesn't, since acceleration
would require the verb to be jaHchoHlaH (it can start moving), so are
the following translations/interpretations correct:

This ship is fast:  nom jaHlaH Duj'e'
     (literally:  This ship can move quickly)

This ship has quick acceleration:  nom jaHchoHlaH Duj'e'
     (literally:  This ship can start moving quickly)

As an aside, the reason I want to nail these things down is because I
roleplay a Klingon in a GURPS game, and I've gotten a few of the other
players interested in trying to learn a little Klingon for "Realism";
we've just come into possession of a jet turbine, and we're planning
on mounting it on an outrigger; in a medeival setting, it would almost
definitely be the fastest ship at sea.  :)

...Paul

Back to archive top level