tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 20 23:53:08 1994

Re: Exhaustion and Perversity

Lawrence,

     I'm replying personally so as not to contribute to a likely glut of
{-bogh}s. You didn't say, "I see the captain who commands this ship." You
said, "I see the captain commanding this ship." As cast, you see the act of
commanding. The captain is incidental; just someone enacting the process that
you saw. The relative clause would have had you seeing the captain. The act
of commanding would have been incidental; something to use in order to
identify the captain that you saw.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level