tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 20 23:17:14 1994

Re: beginners

[mat complains of Marnen's use of lowercase "i". Krankor adds:]

> You are not out of line and you are not picking nits.  You are
> completely right and justified.  The policy of the list is to use
> correct casing, and it is for exactly the reason you mention.
> Marnen, in particular, has been incorrigible on this issue.  I have
> tried begging, pleading, insulting-- nothing works.  I've given up
> on him.  I seldom read his Klingon, though, because my eye just
> can't parse the small i's.
>
>                         --Krankor
[charghwI' adds:]

     I do read it, though I have a hard time taking it seriously, even when
it is otherwise well formed. It is like reading a kid's writing where all of
the "r"s and "s"s are backwards. Marnen is not a beginner, but when I read
those "i"s, it just FEELS like something written by a beginner.

     I've heard his explanation about how some terminals do not distinguish
between "I" and "l" and how he is doing it for the beginners, but, hey, here
we have a beginner asking you to PLEASE USE THE SAME CHARACTERS EVERYBODY
ELSE ON THE LIST IS USING. IS THE MESSAGE GETTING THROUGH YET?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level