tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 19 05:21:31 1994

Re: New motto

>      I suggest that whenever addressIng, In EnglIsh, KlIngons who use lower
> case "I" in theIr KlIngon texts, we should consIstenly use uppercase "I" In
> all of our EnglIsh texts. It Is at least as approprIate and perhaps brIngs
> greater sense of balance to the unIverse.

> charghwI'

Now hold on a second. The reason marnen (and anyone else who uses "i" rather
than "I" in their Klingon) does this not merely for their own convenience,
but for that of any people whose terminals do not distinguish between capital
"i" and lowercase "L". I am one of those people. I'm familiar enough with the
language that it doesn't bother me unless I'm confronted with something like
a nightmarish {lIlellI'}. The {lI-} prefixes almost always throws me a bit.

Personally, I do not find very much difficulty at all reading Klingon with
"i"'s. Or even "d"'s, or "s"'s, or "h"'s. I prefer reading the mixed cases
simply because I'm more used to it. But I wouldn't object to using at least
the "i" in casual conversation here on the mailing list. I would object its
usage in final draft copies of text submitted to HolQeD, the KBTP, the KSRP,
or the stories such as MattWhiteacre's translations of Aesop's Fables in the
Klingon archives.

It's sort of the way someone might use "tho" or "thru" in casual written
English, but, "though" and "through" for official documents.

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level