tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 00:55:15 1994

New motto

>From: FHOREIN%[email protected]
>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 15:35:51 -0500 (EST)

>>>How about "pujwI'vaD vaQbe'boghvaD joq Daj ghajbe'taH [shuffleboard]"? Just
>>>a thought...

[ request for clarification from me about Daj deleted ]

>Sorry: should be Daq. "pujwI'vaD vaQbe'boghvaD joq Daq ghajbe'taH
>[shuffleboard]", literally translated "Shuffleboard has no place for
>the weak or non-agressive." I have got to learn to spell one of these
>days.

Ah, I see now, much better.  I still like some other options better, but
yours makes much more sense to me now.  The only suggestion I have is to
replace "*vaQbe'boghvaD" with "vaQbe'wI'vaD".  "-vaD" is a noun suffix and
cannot got on a verb (unless the verb is made into a noun via "-wI'" or
"-ghach", the two known nominalizing suffixes).  "-bogh" does not make
verbs into nouns per se; it makes clauses into noun phrases.  "That which
is not aggressive" is "vaQbe'wI'", not "vaQbe'bogh."  You could say
"vaQbe'bogh nuv/ghot/Doch/whatever" for person/thing which is not
aggressive, but the neater wat is by using "-wI'".

>>>   joy'wI'

>>~mark

>joy'wI'

~mark