tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 19:58:15 1994

KLBC- Suggestions... and mo

I know the discussion of whether or not KLBC should be corrected is still
being kicked around.  I think there should be *some* kind of correction, or
else people will get set in bad habits, which is a Bad Thing.  I let one
"jI-" in place of "vI-" go by, but I think I really should comment on one
thing here.

>From: "Matt Gomes" <[email protected]>
>Date: 17 Feb 1994 07:39:02 -0800

>vIpotlh mu'mey (Words are important) (I bet I need to add -moH to potlh!)

>BTW:  I am using the "them" prefix on "potlh"... Another way I phrased this
>was "The books, they are important" (I good way to think for Klingon OVS
>construction?)

OK, this one is what bugged me.  Bear in mind: "vI-" is a verbal prefix (it
only goes on verbs) that means that "I" is the subject and
"him/her/it/them" is the object.  "potlh" as a verb means "to be
important", so "?vIpotlh" means "I important them"... which (a) doesn't
make much sense and (b) isn't what you wanted to say anyway.  If you mean
"They are important", then you need to put the "they"-subject, no object
prefix on "potlh", which is the null suffix: you just say "potlh mu'mey"
and leave it at that.

That make sense?

>thlIngan Hol SutIv (Enjoy Klingon)

"Su-" is the prefix for no-object; "botIv" would mean "you(pl) enjoy it".
If it's meant as a command... well, that's another set of prefixes, for
another lesson ("yItIv" for the curious).

>vItIv (I enjoy it)  (Ack... is this right?  Do I use *'e'* in this case?)

This one's fine, don't sweat it.  "vItIv" by itself means "I enjoy
it/him/her/them", with the "it" implied.  This is cool.

>Enough... Qapla'!

>-mat

~mark

Back to archive top level