tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 20:41:16 1994

Re: Klingon Insults

mughItlh Amy:

>>                      So my
>>version is
>>        lamDaq QuchlIj DaHabmoHpu'
>>- marqem
>
>I disagree.  This is exactly the sort of usage that calls for
>using -choH.  Without it, you'd be saying "You have caused
>it to smooth", which makes little sense.  I don't see how you
>get the *be* in your translation, unless you're thinking of
>DaHabmoHpu' as an adjective with verb suffixes and a prefix!

Where I got the "be" in my translation is the definition of Hab
in TKD: "be smooth (v)".  It does not mean the same as the
English verb "to smooth", which is equivalent to "to make
smooth".  So
     Hab QuchlIj
means "your forehead is smooth", not "your forehead smooths it",
and
     QuchlIj DaHabmoH
means "you smooth your forehead", "you make your forehead
smooth".

-- marqem

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

P.S.: This document was dictated with DragonDictate v2.0 (except
the Klingon words).  Net typing speed was 16 words per minute.
91% of the words were recognized correctly.  3% were on the list
of alternate possibilities and were selectable with a single
command, 5% required me to spell at least one letter, and 1 was
new to DragonDictate.

Back to archive top level