tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 03:48:05 1994

Klingon Insults

>From: Will Martin <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 14:01:29 EST

>On Feb 15, 12:21pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Subject: Klingon Insults

>First, I want to express my appreciation for these insults. I regard
>them highly, as I do their author. I see much potential for their use.

Same here; these have potential to be really classic lines.  My reactions
to these mirrored charghwI''s for the most part/

>Now about a picky detail or two:

>> 3.  tIqlIjDaq DuQbogh taj 'e' Danej.

>This should probably be {tIqlIjDaq DuQ taj 'e' Danej} [You seek that a
>dagger stabs the place occupied by your heart]. What you have written is
>grammatically missing a verb, since the {'e'} expects a complete sentence
>preceeding it and the {-bogh} makes the only preceeding verb a dependent
>clause. It means something like [You seek that a dagger which stabs at your
>heart....] Can you feel what is missing here? If you remove the "which" it is
>more complete.

>You could probably lose the {-Daq} here, too. The dagger stabs the
>heart, right? {tIqlIj DuQ taj 'e' Danej}. [You seek that a dagger stabs your
>heart.] DaparHa''a'?

Actually, I thought something like that too, in which case I didn't like
the idea of "nej", something like "DaneHlaw'" or "'e' DaqSmoH DanIDlaw'"
and so on would be better.

BUT, I believe the intent was to make this like the other one about not
being able to sense, i.e. "you couldn't find a dagger if it was stabbed
clean through your heart!"  Keeping the sentence structure the same, how
about:

tIqlIj DuQtaHbogh taj'e' DanejtaH

You're still/continuously looking for a dagger that's stabbing (maybe
DuQta'bogh, that has stabbed) your heart.

>> 4.  lamDaq QuchlIj DaHabchoHta'.
>>
>> Literally:  You have smoothed your forehead in the dirt.  This accuses
>> someone of excessive servility, putting their heads in the dirt so much
>> they have become smooth. This has been known to start bar-clearing brawls
>> in  a matter of seconds.

>That #4 is my favorite. Except that {Hab} is intransitive, being used as
>if transitive. Try {DaHabchoHmoHpu'}. I took the liberty of assuming the act
>of making smooth was not intentional.

Yeah, you need the -moH.  Not sure about the -choH.  Keep the "-ta'"
instead of "-pu'", it's more insulting.  You can be really good and use
"rIntaH": you've smoothed your forehead out, and it's done and there's
nothing you can do about it.  Nyeah.

>Very inventive. I like them much.

What he said

>charghwI'