tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 13 21:40:58 1994

Re: Spoken Klingon

     Please count me among those interested in audio tape exchange. I have
not yet worked up the focus to make tapes I've already promised, but I begin
to feel urgent when I recognize that I will be teaching this in July and so
far, the lion's share of my Klingon communication has been through the
keyboard.

     I put in a classified ad locally seeking others with which to speak the
language, but as yet I have no reply. While my skills in the language do
improve and the work I'm putting into my Annotated Klingon Dictionary is
rewarding, I have a nightmare about getting up in front of a class and
stammering my way through any interactive verbal communication. I can read
aloud what is written, but when I try to think and then speak Klingon,
thusfar, I wind up restating every sentence three or four times, correcting
it until it makes as much sense as what I write.

     I also plan on transcribing the Okrand tapes, then reading the
transcriptions and comparing them to Okrand. Any other ideas? I've read
others mention anecdotes of when they were speaking to each other in Klingon.
I envy that.

     But I WILL be ready by July.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level