tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 08 22:45:40 1994

Martial Art Form

>From: Will Martin <[email protected]>
>Date: Wed, 9 Feb 94 11:12:49 EST

>On Feb 9, 12:59am, Amy West wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Martial Art Form
>>
>> >HIja'...*maq barH* pong Worf.  Although the spelling may be wrong, the
>> >sound is correct... anyone have the correct spelling.
>>
>> Worf says it again in the new episode.  It sounded like he said
>> "muck bara", so the above spelling would be as good as any.
>> They also used a word which sounded like "ghIHtal" and said it
>> means "to the death" ?!  So does this get to be canon now? {;-)

>I repeat: Worf lacks the Klingon linguistic skill needed to call off a
>charging targh if his life depended on it. He wouldn't know a glottal stop
>from a bilabial fricative. He looks great. Big. Strong. Very honorable. He
>just doesn't happen to know how to speak Klingon. At all.

I have to agree with charghwI'.  Dorn looks a great Klingon, but we really
can't take things said on the series as cannon, since they don't seem to be
asking Okrand very regularly, and besides, the actors couldn't pronounce
the sounds right to sve their lives (I remember Krankor once telling me it
took him ages to figure out why Picard was going aroiund saying "cot low"
to Klingons, until it dawned on him that he meant "qatlho'").  "*barH" is
not a word I'm prepared to accept on Dorn's say-so only (a Klingon word
ending in "-rH"?), and "ghIHtal" for "to the death"?  Shyeah right.  Not
without some better attestation, for me.

>charghwI'

~mark

Back to archive top level