tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 04 07:25:32 1994

Re: {-moH}

\How would one say "I caused the officer to kill the prisoner"? Would it
\be "qama' yaS jIqHoHmoHpu'" or "qama'vaD yaS jIHoHmoHpu'"? Or would I have
\to reword the senence as "Because of me, the office killed the prisoner",
\translated as "jIHmo' qama' HoHmoHpu' yaS"?
	I would personally translate this as "qama' HoH yaS 'e' vIqaSmoH`",
literally "I caused it to happen that the officer killed the prisoner".
"qaSmoH" is a good catch-all where a direct application of -moH to the verb
is not evident.

\Also: how does one say "per" as in "there is one captain per ship"?
	Reword: "neH wa' HoD ghaj Dujmey Hoch", "all of the ships have only one
captain".  There is a potential for confusion here, as it might seem that all
the ships together have one captain, but we know of no way to say "each" or
"every".

\"With", as in "The Terran is with the officer"?
There is no general way to translate the various concepts implied by "with"
in English.  For this one, though, you can say "The Terran accompanies the
officer":  "yaS tlhej tera'ngan".

\And I'm still puzzeled as how one
\would refer to the answers to {chay'}, {ghorgh}, {qatlh}, and {'ar}, such
\as in "I do not know how he escaped".
Generally, a Klingon wouldn't refer to the answers that way, but you would do
so like this: "chay' nargh 'e' vISovbe'"

-marqoS

Back to archive top level