tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 04 06:22:20 1994

Re: {-moH}

On Feb 4,  4:20pm, joy'wI' wrote and charghwI' responds:
> Subject: {-moH}
>
> How would one say "I caused the officer to kill the prisoner"? Would it
> be "qama' yaS jIqHoHmoHpu'" or "qama'vaD yaS jIHoHmoHpu'"? Or would I have
> to reword the senence as "Because of me, the office killed the prisoner",
> translated as "jIHmo' qama' HoHmoHpu' yaS"?

     Once again, I offer my opinion. ~mark and Krankor are the grammarians,
and I just like to cast sentences into Klingon, so pardon my exhibiting my
habit. I see in this example, it would be much less confusing to say:

                    qama' HoH yaS 'e' vIqaSmoHta'

     Note that I would probably not use the perfective at all if not to
indictate clearly that the act was intentional. The time would instead be set
by context. In this case the perfective (or imperfective) aspect of the
sentence is less important than the degree of intent.

> Also: how does one say "per" as in "there is one captain per ship"?

                    wa' HoD neH ghaj Dujmey Hoch

> "With", as in "The Terran is with the officer"?

     Awwww. Come on. Try a little harder. {yaS tlhej tera'ngan} There are
many English uses for "with" that are difficult or awkward to bring over to
Klingon, but this is not one of them. Most people come up with examples like,
"He hit me with a disruptor," or "He runs with style and agility," or "I
agree with you" (which starts a big fight over whether you need to say
{maQochbe' SoH jIH je} or just {qaQochbe'}).

> And I'm still puzzeled as how one
> would refer to the answers to {chay'}, {ghorgh}, {qatlh}, and {'ar}, such
> as in "I do not know how he escaped".

               chay' narghta' ghaH 'e' vISovbe'

     Most Klingons would probably omit the {'e'} and everything before it, if
this were a reply to a question. You answer the question. You do not need to
restate it. Still, if you WANT to restate the question or if the question
were never asked and you just wanted to say this quick before your superiors
begin opening fire in the direction of you and everyone near you, this would
probably be an appropriate template. I base this on CK's treatment of
"yes/no" questions, like {tlhIngan Hol DajatlhlaH'a'?} answered by {HIja',
tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaH.}, though Okrand makes it clear that a Klingon would
more commonly just answer {HIja'.}

charghwI'

Back to archive top level