tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 03 08:25:46 1994

Learning by Typing (was Re: Someone point out the obvious, please.)

charghwI' says:
>My point is that HAVING a transcription of the tape will never help you
>as much as MAKING a transcription of the tape. Others cannot do that learning
>for you...

That makes me wonder...since the main obstacle to a tlhIngon Hol-English
translator (or at least translator's assistant) one sees mentioned is the
problematical status of distributing a word list, how about one that comes
with a small program that guides the USER through entering a word list,
along with part of speech, meaning, etc., and uses that to build whatever
files it needs?  This would have advantages:

1. One could, if things are done right, add words as they are discovered
   from time to time in Dr. Okrand's further conversation with native
   speakers.
2. One would think that this would count as "fair use," since the
   word list would not be distributed.
3. It would by golly make sure that users read every word closely.
   Sure it would be work...but a true warrior can endure the pain. :-)
   I hasten to add that I'm just about maximally guilty of not
   putting forth effort in learning tlhIngan Hol, so I'm partly
   proposing this to motivate myself.

	James Jones

Back to archive top level