tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 03 01:27:00 1994

Re: Someone point out the obvious, please.

On Feb 3, 12:39pm, Al Goodnis wrote [and charghwI' rambles]:
>         Does anyone have transcripts of CK and PK to aid in the learning
> process of us ghojwi' chu'?
>
>         Qapla'
>          -qor

     The tapes are VERY useful. I HIGHLY recommend them. Except for a couple
brief scenes, everything on the tapes is translated for you on the tapes. If
you can't transcribe the Klingon part of the message, you can look up the
English side of the message and figure out which Klingon words are being
used. My point is that HAVING a transcription of the tape will never help you
as much as MAKING a transcription of the tape. Others cannot do that learning
for you, and I am quickly discovering that every time I get past my brief
urge to whine "Awwwww, do I HAAAAAAVE to?" and WORK with the language, I go
through my greatest surges in learning the language.

     Now, if I could just do the same thing with weight-lifting...

     These days, my project is making my own annotated dictionary. Word for
Windows 6.0 is terrific. Note: I have confirmed that you CANNOT format text
to be spell checked with a Klingon dictionary. You CAN format it to be
ignored by the English spell checker, however. You probably COULD write your
own spell checker that would link into Word through OLE or DDE (yeah, right),
but I doubt Microsoft will be offering a Klingon.lex file soon.

     For my annotated dictionary,... I've decided to spare you the details.
Unless you use Word, you won't understand what I'm doing with it. Suffice it
to say that most word processors (even Word 2.0) would not let me do what I'm
doing now without a great deal of pain. With Word 6.0, I use the mouse for
all the copying and moving of words while building a Klingon-English,
English-Klingon word list (in 3 fonts: Schoen's pIqaD, my Romanized Klingon
(using the same character mapping Schoen uses, and Century Schoolbook for the
English parts.

     I want this in book form because I want to be able to freely translate
Klingon without a computer. (Novel idea, huh?) I also want to annotate every
usage in canon. This is intended to be the Klingon equivalent to the OED
(that's the Oxford English Dictionary, for the uninitiated; my household has
TWO of them, and a couple years ago it had THREE). Thanks to ClickBook, I
SHOULD be able to make a word list small enough to carry in my wallet: a
Dweeb's dream come true. Imagine, ALWAYS having a complete word list with
you.

     Of course, by the time I finish this, I may not NEED a written word
list. That's why I'm doing it in the first place. The puns are great. I
especially like the word for "boot"... Anyway, this is what I meant when I
said that I was improving my resources. I'm also intending to start making
audio tapes. I envy you guys who have nearby friends with whom you can SPEAK
Klingon.

     When friends ask me about Klingons, I explain to them that so far every
Klingon I've met has been a very gentle person WITH VERY VIOLENT FANTASIES.
{{:)>

charghwI'

Back to archive top level