tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 23 15:23:56 1994

Re: vay' and lu'

On Fri, 23 Dec 1994, Marc 'Doychlangan' wrote:
> paq vIlaD 		I read the/a book
> paq vIlaDlu'		s.o reads the book/the book is read
> paq vIlaDqang		I am willing to read the book
> paq vIlaDqanglu'	s.o. is willing to read the book
> 			*the book is willing to be read

The vI- should not be on the second and third sentences, right?

Looking at this brings an interesting question to mind.  Both versions of
the translation for the last sentence are important.  Here, it is
non-sense, but there are instances in which you need both.  ~mark says
that both are correct, but others continue to argue the point.  To those
who argue, I would like to hear your ideas on translating the following
sentences.

If the weapon is fired (if one fires the weapon), one is willing to kill.

If surrender is refused (if one refuses to surrender), one is willing to
be killed.

> chen tIjwI'ghom		the/a boarding party takes shape

A passive verb.  Great!

janSIy  }}:+D>

Back to archive top level