tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 13:25:25 1994

Re: Abbridged Klingon Dict.

According to David Barron:

> I have, for the most part, completed my version of The Abbridged
> Klignon Dictionary. It encludes all the words in TKD, CK, PK, all
> the HolQeD issues that have new words and the movies.

Congratulations!

> In hopes to make it even more complete I have a rhyming dictionary
> in the event I ever want to work on poetry in the warrior tounge.

Excellent idea.

> I now want to add to that by expanding words in TKD useing  correct
> Klingon grammar.
>
> As a result I have words like:
>
> enliven = yInqu'moH or yInqu'choH (depending on context)
> compile = tay'moH
> erradicate = Qaw'chu'

> I think you get the idea.
>
> Here I ask two questions:
>
> 1) I need your feedback on whether this is a worthwhile addition to the
>    AKD.  I think it would be but this is a forum of disscusion so if there
>    are any desents about this idea I want to know them.

Well, I think it has its good sides and its bad sides. On the
good side, it would especially help expand the English-Klingon
side of your dictionary to expidite writing in Klingon.
Otherwise, when you want a word like "erradicate", you must
continue to look up synonyms until you find one on the list
(which is what most of us do).

On the bad side, this is a task impossible to finish. There are
simply too many possible combinations. Secondly, as you codify
these combinations, you invite yourself to act as judge for a
great many subjective decisions that might differ from the
conclusions that other might make (or even Okrand, himself).

I'd recommend one of three courses of action:

1) Instead, simply give listings like, "erradicate - see
destroy". Leave it up to context and personal inspiration to
tune the meaning of "destroy", rather than fall to the
temptation of being locked in to only one interpretation.

2) Do it, but mark your created entries plainly so that you and
anyone else will know that these interpretations are NOT canon.

3) Get out while you still can.

> 2) Do you have any other words I can add?

Nope. I'm a classicist. I compile info from Okrand, but I seek
to avoid assuming direct authority. Just indirect. My only
authority comes from fidelity to the guy who created this
language.

> --
> David Barron

charghwI'