tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 10:41:37 1994

Re: Dear Kordite: A Klingon Advice Column

Dear Kordite,

Feklar strikes again!  My attempt to quickly provide an answer that MET
THE QUESTION slipped in the suffix.  The honourable ~mark has corrected
my words

 > >   toDwI'maj qoS yItIvqu'!

should have indeed been:

   toDwI'ma' qoS yItIvqu'!

I deliberately used the "our", for I was responding as a Christian.
If I were not and I was extending a wish to a Christian, I might say:

   toDwI'ra' qoS yItIvqu'!

[If I were not a Christian, and my addressee were not, then why would
we be extending such thoughts?]

Since the honourable ~mark touched on it, I think "toDwI' qoS" /
"Saviour's-Birthday" is a better term since it means something in
Klingon, rather than being transliterral-glop that might be mistaken
for genuine tlhIngan words.  As noted above, if this greeting is being
used with meaning at all the giver or receiver of the phrase is
assumed to believe in it.  I don't celebrate the Ferengi version of
this Holiday.  verangan jIHbe'!

If we *must* be generic ....

	yupma'ra' yItIvqu'!

	yIrojqu'!

		Joel.

     [email protected] | Apertus Technologies | GEnie:j.anderson71
       *mIghtaHghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ! roj yInej 'ej  yItlha'*
							 Psalms 34:14

Back to archive top level