tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 08:47:57 1994

Re: Dear Kordite: A Klingon Advice Column

>Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 09:54:23 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Joel Anderson <[email protected]>

>Dear Kordite,

>I protest!  Have you a tribble for a brain?  Are you as duplicitous as
>a Ferengi?  Is a Klingon truly expected to answer with lies?  Your
>words are without honor - should anyone ask >ME< how to say "Merry
>Christmas" I will do my best to answer with my best estimation of how
>to express this sentiment:

>   toDwI'maj qoS yItIvqu'!

Leaving aside whether or not "Christmas" in today's day and age is
really thought of bny most people as "Our Saviour's Birthday", one should
point out that you probably want "toDwI'ma'", unless it's your intent to
put down the Savior.

Now, if Klingon distinguished between inclusive-we and exclusive-we, I
wonder which you'd use?  Most Christians would probably do the inclusive,
but I bet some of the really parochial ones, especially in the Middle Ages,
would lean closer to exclusive...  But I'm not Christian; I'm just
guessing.

~mark

Back to archive top level