tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 10 06:14:32 1994

Re: tlhIngan-Hol vIghoj

According to Christine Atherton:

Welcome. Your post is quite understandable, though as BG, I'm
supposed to clean up those little errors, so they don't get
taken on as standard Hol. So, respectfully, I offer:

> nuqneH!
>
> taghwI' jIH.  QIt jIghoj.  <Bajoran> jIH, //vanya// tupong Sachaw'.

Great, right up to the last word. This is a sensible use of
{tupong}, though Okrand rather left us in the dark on the use
of {pong}, since it is a verb that needs two objects (what you
are naming and what you are naming it). Meanwhile, you can't
have two main verbs in a sentence like this, except for a few
exceptional cases, though this is not one of them.

Better would be either:

... //vanya// tupong 'e' vIchaw'.

or

... //vanya// tuponglaH.

> <kliMUSH> vItu'pu' 'e' vItIv.  jupwI'mey vItu'.
>
> Just recently joined mailing list after heavy pressure from boyfriend.
> Enjoying lots. English suffering.  Found charghwI''s public <joy''egh>
> over the Einsteinian stuff entertaining (chIchbe' qamaw charghwI'!) - very
> Klingon thing to do, ritual public self-flogging? (or is it too private
> a moment to share with all?)  Maybe DaraQ would lend you his Agonizer
> Booth ;)

You can't put a verb suffix on an adverb. While {chIchbe'} is
easily understood by English speakers, it would be gibberish to
a Klingon, sort of like a Klingon trying to come up with the
word "eternity" and saying, "alwaystion". The concept is there,
but grammatically, it doesn't work.

As for public self-flagration, why be selfish and hoard the
suffering that could otherwise be shared with my Klingon
friends?

> Chris.

charghwI'
--