tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 06 09:35:25 1994

Re: Warp drives (again)

>Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 10:38:22 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to [email protected]:

>This is just a quick check, not a thorough one:

>> One remains behind, whilst one goes to Alpha Centauri and back (to Earth).
>> ratlh wa' 'ej //Alpha Centauri//-Daq je tera' leng wa'.

>Note that we have no indication that Klingon allows numbers to
>be used as nouns. They are always attached to explicit nouns,
>unless Okrand just forgot to mention that usage. You can't just
>say, {ratlh wa'}. You have to say something like {ratlh wa'
>nuv}.

Sorry, charghwI'... you were doing an excellent job of correcting, but I
think you forgot something here.  Re-read Section 5.2, page 5:

  "Numbers are used as nouns.  As such, they may stand alone as subjects or
   objects or modify another noun."

And examples like "mulegh cha'" (two [of them] see me) and "wa' yIHoH"
(kill one) are given.

>charghwI'
>--

~mark