tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 06 06:01:09 1994

Re: Hoch vISovnIS

According to Joel Anderson:

> Hoch vISovnIS 'e' wa'DIch DuSaQDaq jIghojta'

"I have accomplished the goal of learning at first school that
I must know everything." [Note that {wa'DIch} should FOLLOW
{DuSaQ} because it is an ordinal number.]

>  N: Hoch: everyone, all, everything.
>
>  V: vISovnIS: I-him/her/it/them need to know.
>
>  N: 'e': that.
>
>  N: wa'DIch: first.
>
>  N: DuSaQDaq: in school.
>
>  V: jIghojta': I did learn.
>

> Does this work for y'all as a tlhIngan Hol
>
>     "Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten"?

Not quite. A better way to cast this meaningfully in English
would be "In kindergarden, I learned everything WHICH I need to
know." That gives you a clue as to how to say it in Klingon:

DuSaQ wa'DIchDaq Hoch vISovnISbogh vIghojta'.

The one controversial thing I've done here is place {-Daq}
after the ordinal number instead of the noun. I'm guessing that
this is the case, since the ordinal number is being used
adjectivally, and adjectival VERBS would receive the Type 5
noun suffix instead of the preceeding noun. Since the ordinal
number functions like an adjectival verb and is located like an
adjectival verb, it seems logical that the suffix should move
to it in a similar way. It makes the pair of words more clearly
function as a grammatical unit. If others have a problem with
this, I'm open to suggestions.

I've done this before and nobody commented on it.

Note also that other castings might be acceptable as well, like:

ngoD vISovnISchugh vaj DuSaQ wa'DIchDaq vIghojnISba'ta'.

"If I must know a fact, then obviously, I must have
accomplished learning it in kindergarden."

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \