tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 02 09:02:15 1994

Re: Where's the Supply closet?

>Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 15:41:41 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Kevin Britton <[email protected]>

>Oh, and I don't know if this is handled in TKD (except for 'a') but how
>is punctuation handled in tlhIngan Hol?  (Commas, quotes, etc)

There isn't a real standard.  We don't even know which direction "true"
pIqaD is written, let alone punctuation for it; the glyphs we have don't
include punctuation marks.  But the true standard for tlhIngan Hol is
Okrand's romanized form anyway.  Since that's a transliteration of sorts,
and there's no real standard with that, it's pretty much up to the writer.
Most people simply punctuate Klingon with normal punctuation marks, as they
feel comfortable from their own native languages.  The punctuations
shouldn't be considered "official" Klingon, though, merely aides to the
reader (or at least some readers).  Some people don't punctuate their
Klingon at all, but put their sentences on separate lines.  That's okay
too.

It's notable, though, that Okrand uses standard punctuation, as seen in the
card that comes with the Power Klingon tape.

>Qapla' all.

>SoghHom KaaDaQ', K'horn puqloD, IKV quljev'a'

~mark

Back to archive top level