tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 01 00:36:40 1994

Klingon Holiday Observances

From: [email protected] (Lori Hatcher)

>>qechlIj vIparHa'.  QI'lop comes every tenth Klingon month >and Empire Union
 Day comes in the third month.  We

From: [email protected] (David E G Sturm)

>I would suggest that Empire Union Day be observed on March 17.  It seems
>appropriate that Klingons would be drinking green beer.  :-)  (And who
>wouldn't argue that Klingon and Irish orthography both have their high
>points....)

>QI'lop on Halloween, maybe?  One day we could all dress like >Klingons,
>and wouldn't get stared at..... :-)

>Dave.

People like us dress like Klingons on Halloween anyways. But I think the
point has been missed. All these days are already taken by other holidays,
and Terran ones at that. No Terran-bound Klingons, such as we are, would want
any Terran celebrations to interfere with our own time-honored traditions.

I hereby decree (suggest, actually) that Empire Union Day be celebrated in
the third Terran month, on the 27th day. I choose 27 because it has special
significance in the old Klingon ternary number system. It is 3x3x3, or 3^3,
which would be written as "1000" in ternary. This has a sort of mystical
significance that Terrans could never appreciate. Who disagrees with this
suggestion?

For QI'lop, it would most likely be deemed to come in the tenth Terran month
for us, but maybe not the 27th day again. Let's be creative. Who has a
suggestion for the exact day of QI'lop?

I don't believe we should simply attach Klingon holidays onto current Terran
ones. That would substandardize them. If we specifically desginate March 27
as Empire Union Day, then the day's likely to have more significance for
those Klingons who have been stranded on Earth for all these years. After
all, since we are forced to live under the Terran calendar, we should have
the right of arbitrarily incorporating our own holidays into it. Right? Ok,
then.

tlhInganpu' vIyajmoHmeH je, loQ vImughnIS. tera'ngan 'ISjaHDaq tlhIngan
yupma' jajmey vIchup: jar wej jaj cha'maH Soch qaS wo' tay' yupma' 'e'
vIchup. jar wa'maH qaS QI'lop, 'ach jaj vIwIvbe'. chaq wIv latlh. Ha'.

Guido

Back to archive top level