tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 30 03:26:18 1994

Re: Translate *that* sentence...

I offer English translations so that Joel may consider how well
he has or has not conveyed his intent. He can then choose
whether or not to consider further polishing his Klingon.

According to Joel Anderson:

>     rojtaH neH rojwI'na'

"A true peacemaker merely makes peace." {neH} is being used
here as an adverbial. Otherwise, the sentence has too many
verbs.

>     noH neH SuvwI'qoq,
>     'ach neHbe' SuvwI'na'.

"A so-called warior wants war, but a true warrior does not want
it." This could also be translated as "A so-called warrior
merely estimates, but a true warrior wants nothing." It is
ambiguous because {noH} can be a noun or a verb with unrelated
meanings, while {neH} can be a verb or an adverbial with
unrelated meanings. They make grammatical sense so long as only
one of these two words is used as a verb, giving us these two
potential translations.

>     Qapla' ghajmo' SuvwI'na'
>     Dochvam vIQub.

"Because a true warrior has success, I think *this thing*." Note
that {Dochvam} means "this physical object". There is no
evidence that I know that ties {Doch} to abstract concepts.

Now, in response to the content:

teH qechvam DaneHqu', 'ej teH qechvam Daja' 'ej Daja'qa', 'ach
ngeblaH qechvam. yapbe' mu'meylIj.

SuvtaH SuvwI'na'. rojtaH rojwI'na'. rojwI'na' SoH. qay'be'. DaH
nIrur SuvwI'pu'na' Hoch Dajatlh. mu'meyvam Dajatlhchugh SaHbe'
SuvwI'na'pu'. SuvwI'na'vaD bIjatlhlaHbe'. bISuvbe'.  SuvwI'na'
SoHbe'.

SuvwI'na' jIHbe' je. qabbe' ghu'vam. puS SuvwI'na'. law'
nuvpu'. 'ach SuvwI'na'pu' HochvaD Dajatlh 'e' DanajtaHchugh vaj
chaq DuQongHa'moH SuvwI'na'.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level